Panzanella salad (Italian bread salad)
Bread, tomato, garlic, and olive oil: the combination is delicious every time! Given these ingredients the Spanish make pan con tomate and the Italians make bruschetta or this panzanella. Of the three, I like this bread salad because it has more vegetables than bread. Feel free to toss in olives, capers, or mozzarella if you happen to have them on hand.
Course: Lunch, Main Course, Salad
- 1 1/2 c stale white bread
- 1 1/2 c ripe tomatoes about two large tomatoes
- 1/2 c cucumber about 1/2 cucumber
- 5 fresh basil leaves torn small
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- 2 T good quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 t red wine vinegar
- 1 t salt
Chop the tomatoes, cucumber and bread into roughly similar sized pieces, about 1/2 inch square.
Toss all ingredients together.
Let stand for about 10 minutes for the bread to absorb the tomatoes juices then serve.